Monday, June 15, 2020

CLASSIC BAKED MACARONI AND CHEESE from Southern Living



I've been making this recipe for over a year and it comes from Southern Living. Per usual, I've made changes to it. I use 5 oz. of sharp cheddar or longhorn colby cheese (longhorn colby is my favorite), not 10 oz. as called for. I use anywhere from a heaping cup to 1 1/4 c. of Barilla elbow macaroni, not 2 c., and I use half the amount of salt and half the amount of flour. I also use a 12 oz can of evaporated milk and 1/2 c. of whole or low-fat milk to equal the 2 c. called for. I only precook the pasta for seven minutes. I don't fully cook it. I bake it in a 1.5 qt. dish for 20 minutes. I don't add part of the cheese to the top before baking. Their's is the classic stovetop thick mac and cheese that doesn't even need to go in the oven to continue baking. 

The way I make it, I grade it an A.

No comments:

Post a Comment